1 an occurrence of something; "it was a case of bad judgment"; "another instance occurred yesterday"; "but there is always the famous example of the Smiths" [syn: case, example]
2 an item of information that is representative of a type; "this patient provides a typical example of the syndrome"; "there is an example on page 10" [syn: example, illustration, representative] v : clarify by giving an example of [syn: exemplify, illustrate]
- RP: /ˈɪnstəns/
- A happening or
occurring; an occurrence; an occasion.
- This has happened in three instances.
- A case occurring; a
case offered as an exemplification or a
precedent; an example; a token.
- It was the only instance in which a direct copy, even to matters of detail, appeared to have been made.
- A piece of evidence; proof.
- In object-oriented programming: a created object, one that has had memory allocated for local data storage; an instantiation of a class
a case occurring, a case offered as an exemplification, an example
- From instantia
Instantiation or instance may be
- A concept in Platonism, see idea
- Instantiation principle - the idea that if properties exist, the essence that "has" the properties must necessarily exist
- Universal instantiation and existential instantiation, two rules of inference in logic
- A substitution instance is a formula of mathematical logic that can be produced by substituting certain strings of symbols for others in formulas.
- An Object (computer science) is often also referred to as the instance of a Class (computer science)
- Table instance (or database instance), a concept in database design; see Row (database)
- Instance dungeon, a feature of many online games such as World of Warcraft and City of Heroes.
- The first moment of existence of a thing, whether living or not. The concept of the big bang theory, at the instant it happened, represents the instantiation of the universe.
instance in German: Instanz
instance in French: Instance
instance in Japanese: インスタンス化
instance in Norwegian: Instans
instance in Swedish: Instans
abetment, adduce, anatomize, article, as an example, aspect, atomize, call to mind, case, case history, case in point, circumstantiate, citation, cite, cite a particular, count, cross reference, datum, demonstrate, demonstration, descend to particulars, detail, document, element, emblem, encouragement, enter into detail, event, example, exemplar, exemplification, exemplify, explanation, exponent, facet, fact, factor, for example, for instance, give a for-instance, give full particulars, goading, ground, illustrate, illustration, improper suggestion, incidental, indecent proposal, insistence, item, itemize, matter, minor detail, minutia, minutiae, motion, name, needling, object lesson, occurrence, particular, particularize, pass, point, precedent, pressing, pressure, pricking, prodding, proof, proposal, proposition, quotation, quote, reason, reference, regard, relevant instance, representative, request, resolution, respect, sample, sampling, say, sexual advance, specify, specimen, spell out, spurring, substantiate, suggestion, symbol, thing, type, typical example, urging